Portland Private Equity Signs on to United Nations-Supported Principles for Responsible Investment
- Signing on to the United Nations-supported Principles for Responsible Investment is another leading step by Portland Private Equity in demonstrating its commitment to integrating environmental, social and governance (ESG) considerations into its investment practices
The Principles for Responsible Investment are a voluntary and aspirational set of investment principles intended to assist firms with incorporating ESG considerations into their decision making and ownership practices. By adding its name to the other over 3900 signatories who have agreed to put the principles into practice, Portland has formally and publicly endorsed its long held belief that as a fiduciary and institutional investor ESG issues affect the performance of its portfolio companies and are a significant driver of shareholder value. The signatories of the PRI, as the network is known, collectively have in excess of US$100 trillion in assets under management.
The six key principles are:
- We will incorporate ESG issues into investment analysis and decision-making processes.
- We will be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices.
- We will seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest.
- We will promote acceptance and implementation of the principles within the investment industry.
- We will work together to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the principles.
- We will each report on our activities and progress towards implementing the principles.
Managing Partner of Portland Private Equity, Rob Almeida commented “Continuing our history of working with leading global development finance institutions, we are pleased to publicly endorse the PRI principles. ESG considerations have been an explicit part of our investment process since the launch of Portland Caribbean Fund II in 2014. We have long held a belief that values create financial value, so to reverse a phrase, by publicly signing on Portland is now talking its walk.”
“We welcome Portland Private Equity to the PRI and the firm’s support of integrating ESG factors into the investment decision making process,” said PRI CEO Fiona Reynolds. “Their decision to join the PRI sends a positive message to other private equity investors that responsible investment practices need to be across all asset classes.”
For more, see: